Sunday, December 16, 2012

Best moment this week past

I have two. I can't choose...

I was driving home along a winding coastal road on Monday night. It was nine oclock, but dusk has barely begun. (That's how it is in Dunedin's December.) I noticed a largish bird on the road, about the size of a shag. Instead of taking flight, as I'd expected, it turned directly towards me with its feet planted, raised its head and chest and flapped its wings back and forth at my oncoming vehicle. It was an astonishing and crazy confrontation.  Car versus bird. I planted my foot on the brake, drew breath, and then saw a small baby, all fluff, scuttling past between us. Saved.

The local city choir generously opened its ranks to all-comers for a performance of the Messiah last week. I had attended three practices prior to the grand sing, bumbling my way through complex and unfamiliar sheets of scored music. Some of the established choir faced us at the performance, while we, the add-ons, sat in the front forward-facing seats, with other choir members scattered among us for vocal support. Delightfully in the thick of it, I was able to watch close up as some of older men in the choir seats, when not called on to sing, surrendered themselves to the music. Their eyes were closed, and they appeared to be deeply transported. The music was glorious, but this too was a glimpse into something sublime.


7 comments:

  1. Oh phew! What a fantastic moment, and pitch-perfectly rendered. And yay for the all-comers Messiah. I have a score now, too, and plan to try and out-sing Kiri on the CD I found here. Good to see you back on the blog, Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two goodies, but I'll go for the bird. That is truly noble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff Pen. Sing your heart out. I'm now hooked, and have decided I want to do this every year till I can't anymore. Good to think that if the choir closes the door in the future, there's always the CD to turn to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great posting I have read. I like your article. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Jual. It's lovely to get your comment. I'm glad you enjoyed the post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I draw-like-effective upon our long-years-of-faith to decipher the voracious dynamic to make a perfectly cognizant, fully-spectacular, Son-ripened-Heaven… yet, I’m not sure if we're on the same page if you saw what I saw. Greetings, earthling. Because I was an actual NDE on the outskirts of the Great Beyond at 15 yet wasn’t allowed in, lemme share with you what I actually know Seventh-Heaven’s Big-Bang’s gonna be like: meet this ultra-bombastic, ex-mortal-Upstairs for the most extra-groovy-paradox, treasureNpleasure-beyond-measure, Ultra-Yummy-Reality-Addiction in the Great Beyond for a BIG-ol, kick-ass, party-hardy, robust-N-risqué, eternal-warp-drive you DO NOT wanna miss the sink-your-teeth-in-the-rrrock’nNsmmmokin’-hot-deal. YES! For God, anything and everything and more! is possible!! Meet me Upstairs. Cya soon…

    ReplyDelete